Sunday, May 14, 2006

joining the light side

So this is my first post from our new computer (my wife hasn't even see it yet). It's a pretty, little (not really, the screen is huge) computer. It is all white, no taupe or black to be seen. The letter on the keyboard seem to be very similar except a couple buttons - One says "return" instead of the funky arrow or "enter" another one says "delete" instead of "backspace". I am guessing that CTRL-ALT-DLT does not work on here, but I have heard that I will no longer need that feature.

I have started going on Safaris now instead of exploring, but I am missing some buttons at the top of my blogger post area, the only thing up there now are spellcheck and the post photo buttons. Is this normal when you are on a Safari? One of my favourite cartoon characters from my childhood is now sitting beside me - Mighty Mouse. Although I haven't heard the familiar cry of "here I come to save the day, Mighty Mouse is on the way."

My biggest reason to buy white is for video editing. I have wanted to do video editing for a while and either we were going to need to spend a bunch to upgrade our hardware and software or just start with something new.

So I don't know how to use this thing yet. I've got a bunch of widgets - do I need those for installing the frame around a door? I even have a .mac account; is that useful?

My airport has come in for a landing at my wireless router (after doing many fly-bys and then trying a different way to connect), but I haven't figured out how to use the printer that is two rooms over yet.

So my question to you is - as a newbie, what do I really need to know about this cool white screen that makes it so much better than my computer down the hall? And how can I get the most out of it?

1 comment:

Eric said...

Welcome to the "light side". My brother-in-law buys things like MacAddict, and whatever they call the other Mac mag. They come with free discs to try many other programs and upgrades as well as all kinds of tips for computing.

The key to doing stuff on the mac is to do it. If there is a problem it will tell you about it. If you can't find something, there are some internal search engines. Also you need to forget about the "dark side" because they took the mac design and then moved things around so finding stuff will confusing if you start with where it was on the old puter. If you start from logic instead you should find it.

Another victory for the good guys.